Monday 18 February 2013

Disaster Pack

I had some new Limited Edition canvasses arrive today - my printers had a special offer on so I thought I might as well buy some stock. Stock is risky. Whilst it can be a good investment it is also money disappearing from my account that may have been better saved. The worst thing about being an artist or working freelance is the unpredictability of it. I know I have this much work on/money today but who knows what will happen tomorrow, next month, by the end of the year?

The new arrivals made me look in my cupboards to see what other copies I had. I have 8 Limited Editions ready and waiting. I also have some copyright and authentication certificates printed in eager anticipation of some purchases. This is matched by the back-log of bubble wrap, edge protectors and cardboard I have been hoarding for a couple of years and some business cards I had printed when I first started up. These are all wise moves as it makes packaging economic and it is the little extras that make you look professional. It depends what mood I am in though, if I am positive then I can pat myself on the back that I have all the measures in place to deal with an explosion of custom or enough templates in place to cope with when I finally 'take off.' If I am in a bad mood it seems a bit like the futility of putting together a disaster pack in case a natural or man-made catastrophe strikes the earth. If something horrendous does materialise how on earth is this small rucksack of items going to help? And let's face it, the chance of me ever needing that bag is pretty remote.

I think I might need a holiday..... somewhere mighty pretty......





No comments:

Post a Comment