Wednesday 3 April 2013

An Artistic Phoenix

My mother came across a statement in a book she was reading the other day which I liked the sound of. Apparently Hol is another word for Phoenix. I like the thought of this, Laura 'rising from the ashes' Hol. The Phoenix is all about restarting, rebirths and living for eternity via its resurrection. If my art can do this, I am onto a winner.

My favourite quote (conveniently highlighting all my best qualities) has to be:

"The Talmud tells how the phoenix (Hol) was the only animal allowed to stay in the Garden of Eden, because it refused to eat the forbidden apple. God granted the bird immortality for its obedience".

Yes, erm, exactly like me. Honest. The phoenix also played an important role in the Harry Potter Saga so I feel as though my success is assured when you combine these two facts together.

The downside of researching word meanings is that you find that there are quite a few alternative examples. Hol is also a place in Norway and let's hope I never become popular in Holland - apparently in Dutch Hol is another word for arse.

Yes. Hello and welcome to Laura Bum Art.

I don't think I have thought this through.......



2 comments:

  1. The book is a novel by Alice Hoffman called 'The Dovekeepers'. It is based on a tragic and iconic event that happened in Masada in 70AD. I quote from page 19 'His friends adored him and called him Hol, the name of the Phoenix'.This may be fact or fiction but the novel is totally absorbing and the characters remain with you long after you have finished reading! I recommend it! Just like your paintings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum :-D I shall put the book on my to do list (or my to read list at least!) xxx

      Delete