Monday 6 January 2014

£10? £20? £50? £40? ok...£27 it is.

I was supposed to get up and under-way early this morning but it was too warm and comfortable in bed. Oh well, I am multi-tasking now and I have just shipped off a painting and the sun has come out! So maybe it was worth a lazy morning.

I am currently waiting for some architectural images to save and trying to source somewhere to buy bubble wrap and picture corners. The problem with selling 10 or so paintings in a short space of times is that your free source of packaging you have been collecting for about 3 years very quickly disappears! Fortunately I still have a lot of cardboard boxes left - I am not quite sure what I will do when that supply runs out. So far I have managed to discover it is considerably cheaper to buy 100 metres of bubble wrap than any other amount. Hmm, that is a lot of bubble wrap!! The protective picture corners are worse as I could only find packs of 450 - 600!!!!! As nice as it would be to assume I am going to sell 112 paintings that seems slightly excessive. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay a bit more to have a pack of 48. 12 paintings seems infinitely more likely and I would like to pretend I don't live in a warehouse/factory.

Who knew all these extra bits would be so expensive!? That is one thing that makes pricing paintings difficult, not only do you have to factor in the material costs of the canvas, paint, pens, tippex, add a bit extra or an hourly rate for the hours you have spent creating the work but you need to factor in the postage and the packaging costs as well whilst not making everything prohibitively expensive. It is a difficult line to tread, but at least it means hoarding all that packaging was a good idea.....

Oh well, 27 pence per square inch of painting seems to be doing the job at the moment.  


No comments:

Post a Comment