Wednesday 16 July 2014

Hiya Napa

So let's start writing about what I paint here, on this painting, mostly because I had a reason to paint this one and it is slightly controversial, which basically means I actually have something to say about it.

'A Modern Winery' and 'Hiya Napa' 30" x 24"
The Reason (or the starting point).

It all started in a mini bus full of girls - 7 Americans, 2 Brits, oh and the driver, he was a guy.

The Setting

A wine tour, across Napa Valley, California, in late February/Early March. 5 Vineyards, a lot of wine, perfect weather, perfect company, just enough food to stay sober.

The Inspiration

The grapevines, rows and rows of them, endlessly running along the landscape as far as you could see, patterning the fields, altering your perspective, perpendicular to you, lining up with you as you drive past, lines, stripes, greens, blues, browns. White grapes, purple grapes. The vineyards, black stallion statues, archways, picture windows, bars, barrels, deep red wine, art work, Italianate, sunsets, quiet (except for the inside of the mini bus, which got a little louder after each Vineyard visit).

All of these 'things' make up this painting, as well as a cheat, as I have painted the vines fully grown, during the actual visit they were just barely beginning to sprout.

There are two paintings because I couldn't decide whether I had finished the painting or not. The first one - 'A Modern Winery' shows what I saw but the second one 'Hiya Napa' better shows what I felt and finished off 'A Modern Winery' to my satisfaction. So the above, is this paintings birth certificate. Born in the US but with a UK passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment