Friday 14 November 2014

No Business, like Snow Business

Disappointingly having an early night hasn't really helped as I still look like a member of the living dead. If only Halloween was this week, I could get by with a limited amount of dressing up and no make up. I am glad I didn't have much to do this week, as the things I have managed to do have been enough. Hooray for the weekend is all I can say, although as I am going away it won't be as peaceful as is possibly required, but more fun hopefully.

Anyway, I am a bit behind with my painting 'birth certificates', so without further ado, one is coming up right now:

'Snow Business' 30" x 24" Acrylic on Canvas
The Reason

My parents visited my brother and sister-in-Law in Barry, Wales and took a trip out to Castell Coch. They were both charmed and it brought back some memories of when I visited whilst at University.

The Setting

Castell Coch, a few postcards of the interior, some photos of the exterior, my memories of the place and weather on the turn outside my window.

The Inspiration

The hidden nature of the building, the surrounding countryside, the fact I needed to paint some Christmas cards, remembering approaching the castell after a long walk and the expectation of arriving. The picturesque thought of snow and sun.

I liked the idea with this composition that the trees could hide the building and the snow could hide the trees. Everything about Castell Coch is not seeing it until you actually get right up close, even though you can see it for miles beforehand. I wanted to keep some of the mystique, so even though I have painted it, you still need to go there to see what it is really like.

Mission accomplished I think!


No comments:

Post a Comment