Wednesday 3 December 2014

Hampton Court

Next up is Hampton Court:

Hampton Court 30" x 30" Acrylic on canvas

The Reason:

I wanted something to paint, not too complicated and friend's had just had a day trip there.

The Setting:

Seeing a photo that made me think 'yes' I want to paint that.

The Inspiration:

From when I briefly visited Hampton Court, remembering the flowers, the multiple colours, the order of the gardens, the maze. Having just painted Patina, neat, ordered, geometrical and patterned. I wanted this to not be an accurate representation but an impression. An impression of the elevation and of the gardens. I consciously chose not to include the statues that lead along the path to the entrance. I am still not sure whether this was a good idea or not, but I always stick with my first conviction. (I don't know whether this is a good idea either, but to me, if it feels finished, it is finished).

I think I may well paint this building again at some point, and it will be a very different take from the above....




No comments:

Post a Comment