Tuesday 12 February 2019

An Art Class

Post number 4 of 2019, is that more than last year put together? I don't think so, but it doesn't feel like that much of an exaggeration. I think this means that I might be doing slightly better at remembering to note my meandering thoughts down for everyone to pretend they haven't read.

Are you ready?

I recently held an art class for a lovely bunch of Ladies that are in a club I belong too. It was quite a learning experience and had a dramatic start as it was almost snowed off. I was 50/50 about whether that would have been a good thing or not but in the end, 10 people turned up, with the promise of running another class later for the 6 or 7 that couldn't make it.

So I learnt, that actually they were all pretty good! I also surprised myself that my instructions made sense and I do actually know how to mix colours, and what I am talking about. This may seem like a stupid thing to say, but I do everything without thinking, so I can't always remember what I did when I look at the end product. I have a couple of paintings I can look at and be impressed that I did them. Me. Somehow I did draw that and pick those combinations, and didn't mess it up. Me. Are you sure?

I also learnt that it would have been easier if I had painted along with them. There was a latecomer so I let her take my space as it was already set up, which was fine to begin with but then got a bit more complicated when it came to the 'stones' and the tree.  But we managed.

It was also interesting to break my painting down into easy to do sections, if I am honest, it made it seem like there wasn't much to it. I suppose there isn't really, but copying cuts down the thought process and the trial and error and the mistakes so I guess it makes it seem easier than it is. At least that is what I am saying to myself.

I also learnt that I am a very indelicate painter. Watching everyone leisurely, gently use small brushstrokes across the canvas made me realise that a). I paint like I am angry b). I paint like I am in a rush and c). I definitely do not paint delicately, which might explain the condition of some of my brushes! :-O

But anyway, a thoroughly enjoyable experience, so thank you Maidenhead Ladies Circle for having me. I would happily teach you all again, and I think you all might have surprised yourselves with your hidden talents! 


No comments:

Post a Comment