Monday 3 June 2019

Rome is Where the Heart is

I am not entirely sure what I have been doing over the last couple of weeks, but I am sure it was all very productive. Honest.

I know I have sorted my cushions page out, got my print images sorted and run and completed a competition to win a cushion, which resulted in some new followers which is an added bonus.

I have also sold some cards, a London print to someone in America, painted a new picture and have a commission to do. That probably seems like enough for two weeks.

I think I have also eaten a lot, been out too much, had some good walks, possibly completed at least 8 zumba sessions, and played netball; Less work productive, but still very enjoyable.

Maybe I do know what I have been doing after all. I was also grateful this time to paint something nice and satisfying, as it not only feels restorative but reminds me that I can actually paint. There is no massive mystery to the inspiration for this one, a few of my friends were visiting Rome last week which firmly put it in my head. I have visited there twice so memories were resurfacing. I also wanted to paint a city scene as I always find them easier to do. Buildings are just there, they don't move, they don't smile, they have structure built in, detail and interest and a focus. I have to think less intensely when I paint a building, I find their solidity and presence much easier to capture than an expanse of landscape, so in some respects painting a building is like having a rest. I also feel like I know how to paint architecture, so after the not entirely successful experience of my last landscape painting, I wanted to do something more reliable.

So here it is: 'Rome is Where the Heart is'


No comments:

Post a Comment