Monday 8 January 2018

Laura 2 Art Scam 0

It seems like the New Year is coming with a New Art Scam.

Sigh, one of these days it would be nice if someone did actually want to buy 4 or 5 paintings from me in one go. Here is to hoping.

I don't really understand how the following email is actually a scam but it has been singled out on this online Art Scam blog as being one, and I am inclined to go along with the majority, just because I can't figure out how they would make money out of me from this, doesn't mean they can't! I shall blame my lack of nefariousness.

The email that came through was as follows:

"Greetings! My name is Steven Rudy from United Kingdom. I actually observed my wife has been viewing your website on my laptop and i guess she likes your piece of work. I'm also impressed and amazed to have seen your various works too,You are doing a great job. I would like to purchase one of your artwork available below and ready for sale as a surprise to my wife on our anniversary. Also, my method of payment is by Bank Cheque as mode of Payment and if you agreed get back to me with the details below now.

    ITEMS NEEDED BELOW.........

Tioga Pass
Mirror Lake
Lake Bled
Blood Sticks Water Falls

Kindly let me have the full details below to issued out the Bank Cheque as requested,so that my financial can issued out the payment procedures Asap..


FULL NAME : 
FULL ADDRESS:
MOBILE NUMBER:
TELEPHONE:

Kindly get Back to me with the Above list of Details requested From you.
Regards


10 Hutcheon Low Place,
Aberdeen,
AB21 9WP
UNITED KINGDOM

  Thanks

So other artists please be aware! I think with the circulation of this scam it is a good idea for me to share again my things to look out for when emails like this arrive:

1. An email address with lots of extra numbers and letters
2. A name that doesn't match who they are.
3. A lack of concern about the price of anything.
4. An inability to pay using conventional methods.
5. A dubious looking shipping address.
6. NEVER return any money - contact your bank/PayPal for advice.
7. ALWAYS log into your own account to check for payment.
8.GOOGLE IT - the address, the name, the letter, the email address - someone will have come across the same thing if it is a scam.

If in doubt, just ask the e-mailer a few more questions, without giving too much away, and slowly, the answers will unravel...

Stay safe!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment