Thursday 1 February 2018

Animal Instinct

2018, so far, seems to be all about the animals. I have two commissions thus far - one to paint a dog, and another to paint a Unicorn! (Yes, that one will be interesting!)

I have been website updating on and off for the last few days. This is mostly very, very good, except that it resulted in an inability to sleep on both Monday night and Tuesday night. This was mostly because I started thinking about all the things I needed to decide upon, to sort certain pages out, and then these points went round, and round, and round, and round in my head for what seemed like an interminable amount of time. Fortunately, I now seem to have decided what I am doing (theoretically), and I have started to tackle the easy to sort pages. This means, that the 'portfolio' section is done, minus a few tweaks and the 'originals' section is well on the way. I will worry about sorting the more complicated pages out later, and they are only complicated layout wise, bar the 'Terms and Conditions' page, which as yet I have no idea what to write on. Fortunately this time, I have found a few artists that I want to pitch my work level at; This has been rather useful, as I have been looking at how they have structured their website, prices and various other bits and pieces, to give me an idea of what to aim at. This is vastly different from the other two times I have website redesigned where I have mostly made it up as I have gone along.

One of the main dilemmas at the moment, and pretty much as always, is still price. I am pretty sure someone didn't buy a piece of work the other day because they thought it was too cheap. A friend pointed out to me, that when they are looking for jeans, they discount the cheapest ones, because they think they will be of poor quality. They ignore the most expensive ones, because that is a ridiculous amount to pay, so that leaves the gap in the middle, which art-wise, is probably pretty wide. This seems like good advice, I just need to somehow work out what that middle level is for me.

Watch this space. (It might be advisable to buy a painting soon, if you are thinking about it!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment