Monday 22 September 2014

New York, New York

I have come to the conclusion that I actually like scheduling blog posts as then, when I do a few in one go, I can choose to write them in whatever order I please. I have no idea why this should make such a difference but I guess it gives my mind a chance to clear itself in its order of choice rather than order of timely accuracy.

I also wish I had a laptop/ipad so I could write things on the go. I have spent quite a bit of time travelling recently, and although it isn't wasted time as I always read or just enjoy not having to do anything I could save a bit of time by writing these on a train/boat/plane service to nowhere/everywhere. 

Oh well. A, better late than never and B, at least I will look up when I am travelling and not miss the world going by whilst I am glued to a small piece of electronic distraction. 



The Reason

I love New York, I have painted it before at night in the rain. I had this painting in my bedroom but I was tempted enough to sell it. I felt it was finally time to paint a replacement, but a different version, in the day, in the sun.

The Setting

It had to be Times Square, we stayed in a hotel 2 minutes away and walked through it many times, at night, in the day, in the rain, in the hot sun, when it was freezing, when we were drunk, when we were tired, when we had too much shopping, when we were dressed to impress, when we were buying Broadway tickets, when we were going somewhere else, when we did karaoke, when we were leaving, when we were dreaming of coming back....

The Inspiration

My memories, the buzz, the vibrancy, the sound of yellow taxis, the people, the mass of cultures, the colours, the WOW.

New York is close to my heart, it was the first destination outside of Europe I visited and the first place to tempt me into a long haul flight. I hate flying so this is saying something. I have tried to condense all of this excitement, anticipation, expectation, newness into this painting. I have painted my memory.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment