Monday 6 October 2014

Elspeth's Field

This painting was half a commission, half an idea and half a coincidence. I jokingly put a photo of some sunflowers a friend had given me on facebook, with the caption, 'I feel a bit of Van Gogh coming on.'

An old friend then contacted me to say that if I painted some sunflowers she might buy a print. One of her close friends had recently suffered a terrible bereavement and sunflowers were being used as the memorial flower. There was no way I wasn't going to make some attempt to paint the flowers after hearing this, even though, initially, I had no intention of painting them. It serves me right for being insincere I suppose, but I am one not one to ignore coincidences. 

So here it is - Elspeth's Field




I decided to donate the painting to my friend's friend as I wouldn't have painted it without their influence and it seemed right. It is the kindness of strangers that can sometimes help get you through the utter desolation of grief in its blackest moments.

The painting is nothing to their grief, but the process behind it is a powerful thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment