Wednesday 1 July 2015

Maison du Roi

So I disappointed myself yesterday as I somehow completely forgot to write a blog post. I shall blame the hot weather and being British. I was probably too busy moaning about how hot it was that I momentarily forgot my priorities. Speaking of hot, my flat is stuck at 31.5 degrees Celsius, outside at 36. This is going to make for an interesting zumba session in an unconditioned sports hall. You can win a prize if you guess the exact colour of puce I am going to turn. I would like it to be something cryptic like Elephant Red, maybe Blood Orange, as long as it isn't Leaf Green I will be ok.

But anyway, before I get completely off topic I am massively overdue in writing a few 'birth certificates' for my paintings. I am in fact 15 paintings behind (!!) So let me start with the oldest one of the bunch and then do them in order from there.



The Reason

I had returned from a recent trip to Brussels to visit one of the Christmas Markets and I was thinking about what to paint.....

The Setting

Late one night, in the main square of Brussels, watching a light and sound show play out on all the surrounding Gothic buildings and falling a little bit in love with it all. the spectacle, the colours, the architecture, the atmosphere.... 

The Inspiration

The inspiration was simply the Maison du Roi, one of the more beautiful buildings that makes up the Town Square. The ground is inspired by the Flower Carpet festival that is held in Brussels, that I, as yet, have not had the pleasure of witnessing but would love to catch one day. The arch is a piece of lace, one of the things Belgium is famous for. The colours obviously hark back to the light show that was playing as we wandered by one evening. So, black night, lace arch, flower carpet, brightly lit building. These are a few of the ideas that capture a Belgium Christmas for me, and were still buzzing around my head when I decided to sit down and paint. I think the lace arch is definitely my favourite bit.....



No comments:

Post a Comment